We recommend annual health examinations for all pets, and twice yearly for senior pets. A thorough examination of all of your pet’s body systems is carried out so we can detect any changes that may affect your pet’s health and wellbeing.
Our examination usually begins at your pets head. After our Veterinarian has said hello to your pet and given them some time to relax, we will examine the following
- Teeth and mouth – we check teeth for dental health and look for lesions on the gums, tongue and throat. We will also check the colour of the gums
- Eyes – checked for discharge, inflammation, and eye abnormalities
- Ears – examined for inflammation or discharge
- Heart and circulation – the chest is auscultated and the heart beat assessed. We may also need to check the pulse
- Lungs and Respiration – the trachea is palpated and the lungs are auscultated
- Abdomen – this is palpated allowing us to check the liver kidneys, spleen, intestines and bladder for palpable abnormalities. We also can detect pain if it is present
- Skin – We check the skin for the presence of ectoparasites such as fleas or mites. We also check for skin lesions or evidence of dermatitis. Any lumps found can be further investigated and their size may be measured if we are to continue to monitor them
- Musculoskeletal System – We monitor your pet walking if possible, and manipulate legs and joints as needed, checking for pain, swelling , abnormal movement and crepitus or crackles in the joint
- Weight – we will assess your pet’s weight and offer advice if needed for weight loss or gain.
- Preventative Medicine – we will check your pet is up to date with worming, on heartworm prevention and flea and tick control. We will also check your pet is on the correct diet for his/her age.
- Microchip – we check the microchip is scanning
- Behaviour – we will discuss behaviour issues and advise on management or further therapy as needed.
- Wellness Blood Screens – Blood screens are available to all pets and we recommend these annually. This becomes more important as pets age as we can detect changes before clinical disease is present and treat early to avoid illness.
This comprehensive health examination allow our Veterinarians to detect any problems and treat early, allowing your pet a long and happy life.